Sunday, July 12, 2009

The Test

I took Luke to the doctor for his 18 month checkup on Friday. Before we saw the doctor, the lady behind the desk handed me official papers to fill out on Luke's development that I would then discuss with the doctor. As I started in on them, I realized by question #2 that they were screening for autism.

Just simple questions like "does your kid point?" and "is your child interested in other kids?" makes my heart heavy, not necessarily in a burdened way, but just heavy. Heavy because I wish I had had these questions when Will went in for his 18 month checkup. Heavy because I wish I had known, I should have known long before he was 3. Heavy with relief that my other two boys show no signs of autism. Heavy just at the sight of the word "autism" because it is not just a word but something that has affected us and changed us. But most of all heavy with thankfulness and gratitude, almost as if the word "autism" is becoming foreign, as if we have moved on, or its connotation has changed from "disability" to "gift". 


4 comments:

Angela said...

Praise Jesus!

Fleming Family said...

What a powerful post, Christine. Thankfully, doctors are now more aware of what to look for in the very young child to help moms and dads out. I'm so grateful that Will is doing so well, and I'm especially thankful that he has such a tremendous mom and dad who have helped him to grow!

mommaof3 said...

I agree with your mom. We were looking at Bean's baby book yesterday and there was a picture of Will from when they turned 2..... can you believe it?

Graham said...

How great that you can see it as a gift now!! God has done an amazing work in Will's life and in and through you.

jo